Charlie Convertible Backpack Sewing Pattern
- The Charlie Convertible Backpack measures 14" wide x 12.5" tall x 5" deep and converts from a tote to a backpack by sliding the straps in one easy motion
- The Charlie Convertible Backpack has a recessed zipper, one large front pocket with a diagonal or curvy option and an oval base. Inside there is one large, divided, pleated slip pocket and one large zippered pocket.
- The pattern has a total of 42 pages including 20 pages of detailed instructions with full color photos and 22 pages of computer generated, full size pattern pieces that you print at home and tape together.
- This is a PDF Sewing Pattern.
- You must be able to save, and print a PDF file.
- Download link is provided after purchase.
- Sorry, no refunds on digital products.
The Charlie Convertible Backpack is a medium sized tote bag with straps that glide seamlessly into backpack mode and back again, without any fiddly clips to readjust. The full size front pocket can feature your favorite fabric and is great for items items you need to grab or stash quickly without unzipping, like a packet of tissues or wipes, a mask, or receipts. Everything else securely zips inside with a recessed zipper. Inside are two simple pockets - a pleated, divided pocket and a zippered pocket. The curvy shape complements the backpack straps running down the sides, and the oval base completes the look.
Main fabric (canvas, denim, linen, thin vinyl): 2/3 yard
Accent fabric (quilting cotton, linen, canvas): 3/4 yard
Lining fabric (quilting cotton): 1.25 yard
20” wide woven fusible interfacing (Pellon SF-101): 3.5 yards (more if block fusing, less if using heavyweight fabrics)
45” wide fusible fleece (Pellon Fusible Thermolam or 987F): 1/2 yard
Ultra-firm stabilizer for base (Pellon Peltex 70, Decovil Heavy): 1/4 yard (only a 5” x 9” piece is needed)
One 16” or longer #4.5 or #5 nylon zipper + One 12” or longer #4.5 or #5 nylon zipper
OR #5 nylon zipper tape (Cut to 16” and 12”) and two pulls
Three 1” rectangle rings
Three 1” sliders