Monarch Mini Crossbody Sewing Pattern
RELEASE SALE ALL PATTERNS 20% OFF through July 31st 11:59pm CDT Sale code automatically applies at checkout!
- The Monarch Mini Crossbody bag measures approximately 8.5" wide x 7" tall x 3" deep. (Wider with the optional side pockets)
- The bag features a front slip + zip pocket, back slip pocket, recessed top zipper, and inside zippered pocket. Optional elastic+mesh pocket and doggie pickup bag dispenser pocket on the sides turn this stylish mini crossbody into a dog walking bag.
- Functions as a crossbody bag and transforms into a waist pack.
- Pattern instructions are 17 pages with bright, clear, color photographs plus 14 pages of pattern pieces which must be printed at home on letter/A4 sized paper and assembled. Measurements are given for rectangular pieces.
- This pattern is designed and sewn on a domestic sewing machine. An industrial sewing machine is not required for the materials suggested.
- Exterior fabrics suggested: Domestic friendly vinyl like Mora or Rex from Emmaline Bags, canvas, denim, linen, water resistant canvas
- Accent fabrics suggested: quilting cotton, canvas
- Lining fabrics suggested: Quilting cotton, canvas, water resistant canvas
- This is a PDF Sewing Pattern.
- You must be able to save and print a PDF file.
- Download link is provided after purchase.
- Sorry, no refunds on digital products.
The Monarch Mini Crossbody is a compact bag with a lot of pockets. It is designed with a dual purpose in mind. Use fancy fabrics for a stylish essentials bag, or use durable, utility, or novelty prints plus the bonus mesh and/or dispenser side pockets for a cute and functional dog walking bag! Or settle somewhere in between for a useful stroller, walker, wheelchair, or scooter bag. This bag is small, but it will fit an iPad Mini 6 (without a bulky case). It will fit 1-2 large diapers and a small travel pack of baby wipes. It will fit a Zip Around Town Wallet. It will NOT fit *all* of those things. :)
The dispenser side pocket is designed for rolls of pickup bags. If you use flat bags or grocery bags, or just want a pocket for your keys, you can make the pocket without the hole. The mesh pocket will hold a tennis ball or a *small* 8oz bottle of water (meant for your dog to drink half way through your walk, not for a theme park sized Yeti, sorry!) For a stroller bag, I recommend adding two mesh pockets and making short straps - short strap instructions not included but you could use any wristlet strap or look under "Tutorials" on the website for some stroller strap instructions. I'll be making several more of these and will have the chance to walk you through some of the more popular options and modifications!
When used in waist-pack mode, the bag falls open when unzipped so it's easy to reach your treats for a dog training session. It's a very short bag so it will not be a black hole, which is why I've kept inside pockets to a minimum (just the one that's needed to turn the bag.) The design also offsets the seams and places the strap tabs on the sides, so there is minimal bulk at the side seams which makes it more domestic friendly if you choose vinyl. This does allow for you to easily place the crossbody strap tabs at the top like shown in the silver version, although those instructions are not explicitly included. A webbing strap also saves time and fabric!
As with all Dog Under My Desk patterns, this bag has been designed and tested on a domestic sewing machine (Bernina 570) and the detailed photo instructions are accessible to visual learners. This particular bag is best for intermediate sewists.
Fabric and hardware used in photos shown:
Quilting cotton: Newspaper Butterflies by Carrie Bloomston - Windham Fabrics
Quilting Cotton: Cassidy Multi Tie Dye by Timeless Treasures Fabrics
Purple Water Resistant Canvas from More Me Know
Rex black and silver metallic vinyl from Emmaline Bags
Fandom fabrics (quilting cotton) from GEEK GARDEN FABRICS
Mesh and elastic from ByAnnie via Stitch Supply Co
Interfacing from Emmaline Bags and Castine Handcrafted
Seatbelt webbing from Indo Love Kreations and More Me Know
Zipper tape and pulls from More Me Know, Zipper Valley, and Wizardry Stitchery and Crafts
Hardware from Emmaline Bags and More Me Know
1/3 yard Exterior fabric
1/3 yard Accent fabric
1/2 yard Lining fabric
1 3/4 yard 20” wide woven fusible interfacing
1/8 yard (8” x 3” piece) Extra-firm stabilizer for base
54” of 1” wide webbing
(Optional) 1/4 yard of mesh fabric (8” x 5.5” piece)
(Optional) 6.5” of fold over elastic (FOE)
One 13” (or longer) #4.5 or #5 nylon zipper
One 10” (or longer) #4.5 or #5 nylon zipper
One 9” (or longer) #4.5 or #5 nylon zipper
OR 32" of #4.5 or #5 nylon zipper tape and three zipper pulls
Two 1” D-Rings for crossbody strap
Two 1” Swivel Clasps
One 1” Slider/Strap Adjuster
(Optional) Two 1” Triangle Rings for waist strap (D-rings are also fine)