Quick Zip Lunch Bag Sewing Pattern
- Finished size: Small size: 9” wide x 7” tall with an 8” x 4.5” base, Large size: 11.5” wide x 9” tall with a 10” x 5.25” base
- UPDATED and re-written November 2017
- Larger size now available in additional to original smaller size
- 16 page full color photo tutorial
- 14 pages of computer generated pattern pieces (total for both sizes)
- Detailed construction and recessed zipper instructions, suitable for a beginner
- This bag has a zipper closure and an inside patch pocket.
- This is a PDF Sewing Pattern. You must be able to open and print a PDF file.
- A download link will be provided after purchase
- Sorry, no refunds on digital products.
The Quick Zip Lunch Bag was one of my very first patterns, but the instructions were desperately in need of a re-write. Since I didn’t have time to develop a completely new pattern during our international move, I took the opportunity to update this one! It has the same recessed zipper as the Two Zip Hipster, but it uses less fabric and has fewer pieces so it’s a PERFECT beginner pattern as an introduction to zippers or bag making in general.
The most requested addition was for a larger size than the original smaller kids/snack size. The larger size will fit many freezer meals and leftover containers and should fit a full size adult lunch. The smaller size is still perfect for a kid’s lunch or a snack. (I use the small size for all of the toddler snacks that we take when we go out with Emmett.)
The bag opens wide and has a very straightforward, clean, professional looking zipper installation with no raw edges and a finished lining. The instructions have bright, clear photographs for every single step, leaving absolutely nothing for you to question or guess at. I’ve updated the pattern pieces to the current style, and added full pattern pieces for the larger size – no % resizing and no cutting on the fold. The only thing you need to do is print and cut the pieces out and tape them together. Since the pattern has a separate lining piece, I’ve tapered it to help account for the bulky insulating batting so that you don’t end up with a saggy lining.
This pattern has been fully tested by my reliable team to help ensure you will have a successful sew.
If you have previously purchased the Quick Zip Lunch Bag and need the new version, please contact me at email@example.com and I can help you!
Main Fabric (Quilting cotton or home dec recommended): 1/2 yard for Small size, 3/4 yard for Large size
Lining Fabric: 1/3 yard
20” Wide Woven Fusible Interfacing (Pellon SF-101 or similar): 1 3/4 yard
Insulated Batting: 1 yard (45” x 36”)
One Nylon Zipper: 14” or longer for Small size, 16” or longer for Large size (see Notes)
90/14 Microtex/Sharp, 90/14 Topstitch, or 100/16 Denim Needles
Zipper foot required
Marking tool, pins and wonder clips, sewable double stick tape, rotary mat & cutter, and walking foot (recommended)