Daytripper Sewing Pattern
- Finished size: 16” wide x 10" tall x 4” deep (12” wide x 2.5” deep at top opening) with a 30” to 56” adjustable strap
- 32 page full color tutorial with photos
- 17 pages of computer generated pattern pieces (8 pattern pieces total, must be printed and taped together)
- Detailed construction and zipper instructions
- This bag has a zipper closure, a zippered back pocket, a divided outside pocket and a divided inside pocket.
- This is a PDF Sewing Pattern. You must be able to open and print a PDF file.
- A download link will be provided after purchase
- Sorry, no refunds on digital products.
- Instructions to make the “mini” purse-sized version can be found on the blog.
I originally designed the Daytripper to be a theme park or a city bag. You know, one of those carry everything you need for the whole day kind of things. Your water bottle, jacket, a book… things you may not need in your every day purse but when taking an extra tote to leave in the car isn’t an option. It’s big but it’s not *too big* meaning it’s about messenger bag size. Whether I have it stuffed (and you can really stuff it!) or not, it’s perfect!
The Daytripper features a back zipper (fully lined) and a top, zippered gusset. The back zipper is perfect for boarding passes, a wristlet, an iPad, a Kindle – anything you want very accessible but completely secure.
The front slip pockets are specifically designed to keep phone and keys accessible. The inside features the zippered gusset and a full length pocket on one side. I’ve left the other side without a pocket you so you can customize it!
For extra structure at the bottom of the bag there are instructions for an optional bag base sleeve.
Main fabric: 1 1/2 yards
Lining fabric: 1 1/4 yards
20” woven fusible interfacing: 4 yards (Recommended: Pellon SF-101)
20” heavyweight sew-in interfacing: 1 1/4 yards (Recommended: Pellon 50)
Batting: 1 yard (Recommended: Pellon 988)
Extra firm/heavy interfacing: 8″ x 4″ (Recommended: Peltex)
Hardware: 1.5” Adjustable slider & rectangle ring
Back zip: 18” or longer nylon zipper (I highly recommend YKK long pull purse zips.)
Top zip: 16” or longer nylon zipper