Unflappable Messenger Bag
- The Unflappable Messenger Bag measures approximately 14" wide x 11" tall x 3.25" deep.
- The bag features a darted front pocket with a hidden zipper, a full width back pocket, a top zip, a divided, full width lining pocket and a lining zippered pocket. Choose from a fixed or adjustable strap.
- Pattern instructions are 20 pages with bright, color photographs with additional instructions. 23 pages with pattern pieces must be printed at home on letter/A4 sized paper and assembled. This pattern is designed and sewn on a domestic sewing machine. An industrial sewing machine is not required for the materials suggested.
- Exterior fabrics suggested: Thin, domestic friendly vinyl like Mora or Rex from Emmaline Bags, canvas, denim, linen
- Lining fabrics suggested: Quilting cotton, canvas, water resistant canvas
- This is a PDF Sewing Pattern.
- You must be able to save and print a PDF file.
- Download link is provided after purchase.
- Sorry, no refunds on digital products.
The Unflappable Messenger Bag is a slim, medium sized, everyday bag featuring a unique darted front pocket with a hidden zipper. This pocket is perfect for featuring panels or special fabric. (The robot dog shown here is specifically a Geek Garden Fabric "big kid" panel.) The top zip allows you to fill the entire bag without reducing usable space. There is a full width back pocket that can be divided or left off. The inside slip pockets can be divided however you choose, and there is a wide inside zippered pocket for extra security. Smaller extra pockets (not included) for pens or a phone can be added inside the front pocket or below the lining zippered pocket. Finally, a water bottle sleeve has been incorporated inside, that will hold your 500mL single serve water bottle upright and will fit a variety of small to medium sized reusable containers.
This bag is designed with a 2" wide strap, but a 1.5" strap and strap tabs can be used without impacting the functionality or construction of the bag. Or, save on hardware by choosing the fixed length strap option. This bag would also look great with webbing or seatbelt webbing!
My vision for this bag is a convention/fandom bag. I've kept the construction basic (you will find many of the elements optional or customizable) while featuring a custom front pocket that personalizes the bag. Adding a custom panel, embroidery element, or custom fabric to an otherwise basic canvas or plain vinyl bag can create a huge impact while conserving scarce or expensive materials. The limited, basic hardware also allows you to feature specialty zippers without stressing about matching a bag full of hardware. Of course, you can alway add rivets, a tassel, a key leash, strap ends, a metal zipper end, and more hardware if you like, but it is not required.
As with all Dog Under My Desk patterns, this bag has been designed and tested on a domestic sewing machine (Bernina 570) and the detailed photo instructions are accessible to beginners and visual learners.
Exterior fabric: 1.5 yards
Lining fabric: 1.5 yards
20” wide woven fusible interfacing (Pellon SF-101 or equivalent): 4.5 yards
(For a quilting cotton front pocket, I recommend using a heavy woven interfacing like SewFuse Plus)
Ultra-firm stabilizer for base (Pellon Peltex 70, Decovil Heavy): 1/8 yard (8” x 3”)
Extra-firm stabilizer for base (Pellon 926, Decovil Light): 1/8 yard (8” x 3”)
Two 16” or longer #4.5 or #5 nylon zipper + One 13” or longer #4.5 or #5 nylon zipper OR 45” #4.5 or #5 nylon zipper tape and three zipper pulls
(Optional for the adjustable strap) Two 2” rectangle rings + One 2” slider
15” of 3/4” wide elastic for the water bottle sleeve
The mini version has some minor mods required and the instructions are available in the Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogundermydesk